Tue May 8 2007

Rework on aileron brackets (again)

I was reading another builder's website. He was up front enough to put his mistakes right out there for everyone to see. About the time I was feeling all smug and chuckling to myself, I realized...oh crap!...I did that exact same thing. I had used AN470 universal head rivets everywhere on these brackets instead of using AN426 flush head rivets in places. To make matters worse I had riveted the inboard aileron brackets to the rear spar.

Well, I drilled out a bunch of rivets, removed the brackets from the spar, drilled out the wrong AN470 vs. AN426 rivets, countersunk, and squeezed the AN426 rivets. Total time wasted: about 1 hour. Smugness factor: -100. :-(