Sat Feb 16 2008

Bulkhead work

Over the past few days, some of the parts I've ordered recently have arrived. Here you can see my new SteinAir vents (on the right). They're soooooo much nicer than the ones that come from Van's on the left.

I also got this really nice stainless steel heater box from EPM.AV Corporation. I didn't like the idea of having an aluminum heater box be the only protection between me and a fuel-fed engine fire. This one should be significantly safer in that respect.

Van's also sent my new F-635 bellcrank arms. I had previously drilled one of the holes too large.

After that I did some work and got the F-712 bulkhead all flanged, drilled, and dimpled.

You can see how I used my angle matching tool to adjust the flanges of the F-712A and F-712B bulkheads to match the taper of the fuselage.

With regard to dimpling, I chose to dimple both the F-712A and F-712B for all the AN426AD3 rivets. I used the tank dies on the F-712A and the regular dies on the F-712B. For the AN426AD4 rivets, I dimpled the F-712B and countersunk the F-712A. I had the tail tiedown extrusion clecoed on while countersinking and I think the countersink actually went into that extrusion a bit. It's good that I did it that way, then, because if I hadn't, the countersink would've lost it's pilot once the countersink machined all the way through the F-712A.

I again used the mitre saw to cut the angle at the ends of F-710A. This time the angle was 10.6 degrees.

Then it was time to adjust the flanges of the F-710 bulkhead and match drill the F-710A angle to the row of holes at the top of the bulkhead. Easy stuff.

On this F-71? bulkhead, the side-most flanges aren't prepunched. I matched up some of the other prepunched holes to the prepunched holes in the skin and kind of rolled this bulkhead to one side and the other so I could roughly mark where the rivets will go in this flange. Now I know where it's OK to put the flutes.

A few minutes work with the fluting pliers had this bulkhead lying nice and flat.

The last thing I got done for today was to deburr these four F-656 gussets. The next step in the manual is to work on bending the longerons, but the shop is such a mess right now I need to get some organization going first. Since I did all that deburring last month I now have piles of nicely deburred parts laying all over the workbenches. That makes them essentially useless for doing actual work on.

I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll make some shelving to go under the stairs that lead down to the basement. That's wasted space, so it'll give me a good spot to store stuff without impinging on walking and working space.