Sat Jun 27 2020

Sharpening jointer knives

I made some pads with guide rods to use with the blade clamping jig. I made three of these (the rod was from an old spray mop that died) so that I could progress from coarse sandpaper to fine. Unfortunately, after going through a couple sheets of sandpaper, it was apparent that, for the amount of metal that had to be removed, sandpaper just wasn't going to be up to the task.

Here's a close-up of the first blade showing that the near end of the blade was pretty severely worn. So, I started making a new pad with guide rod...one that would hold a 2" x 8" sharpening stone, which I already had.